Monday, June 2, 2008

Swollen Eyes, Alien Reactions, and Fatal Jokes

Hello out there (imagine it's echoing)….

Hope all is well with everyone. I am a bit delirious myself this morning due to no sleep for the past two nights! If you don’t know me, then you’ll logically think it was a wild weekend. If you know me, then you’ll know that I have an absolutely zero social life in that way, so of course it wasn’t some crazy night out situation… Kid was sick on Saturday, and I had to wake every 45-60 minutes to keep a check on the temperature. Poor thing was flushed and having a tough time with sinuses on top. I only woke twice last night for this purpose, but there was another reason I didn’t sleep. I had another one of ‘those’ nights when you can’t stop thinking about some things…. and someone… yeah, there’s a someone that as hard as I try, I can’t shake… an inaccessible someone at that. So this morning, I’m all swollen-eyed, pale, and plain old pooped. But that didn’t stop me from taking a walk at 5:30am to clear my head (and freeze my a** off since I ran out without a sweater in my hurry). We all torture ourselves with something once in a while, right? This is my thing, the one that got away… The One.

Well, once in a while, I like a little distraction from The One. Nothing wrong with that, right? I mean, I’m mourning, not dead. :-) And I had such a distraction recently. Here’s the short and sweet of it (whatever that means when it comes to me!).

So, there was I was, being closely examined by him. I was flat on my back for most of it, and to be honest, if I had to have someone towering over me, why not this guy, right? Especially since I estimated that he’s got to be within 2 years of my age either way. Sounds like a hot date, right? Nope, it was my new doctor from the week before, actually. Talk about an alien reaction, it has just been too long! I was like a teenager all over again. Of course I got nervous… and it was like I was missing the opposable thumb or something, because I couldn’t grip anything properly, and nor would my hands stop shaking. This is me, who’s lived on two different continents, grit my teeth through a tough divorce, rode and jumped off deadly trains that kill tons of people every year, punched the quarterback in the face when I was no more than 16, and nun chucked scores of deadly (ok, not really deadly, just felt deadly) mosquitoes vying for my blood…. And now I've been reduced to this... tsk tsk. I think I was bolder when I was a teenager than I am now as an adult. At first I was fine, until he walked in and came really close so that I could get a clear view of him… and that was the end of any intelligent thought or word. I don’t think I’ve been as quiet in a space of 15 minutes (when someone else is present) since the time Ben’s potty-mouth Filipino friend made me say a very very very bad word by accident. We were at TGIFridays and it was all I could do not to jump under the table and hide when the 8 odd people suddenly went silent at my utterance. I tried denying it, but there was no going back--- too many witnesses! Anyways, back to the examination table. Now, understand that I was encouraged early on by this doctor’s nurse. I thought I was going in to see some old fogy, until the nurse asked if I’m married. Sighing I said ‘no’. I didn’t know where she was going with it until she practically beamed at me and informed me with a wriggle of her eyebrows that the good doctor himself is also very much unmarried and “cute as a button”. Hahahahaha… That is a phrase I’d use for a little boy, not the big one I encountered. I was stunned and amused at her blatant suggestion and could only smile at her. Of course now I was curious. It was all going fine until I finally opened my mouth (unrelated to my medical history I mean). And then the whole thing died a horrible death, I should have stuck to just nodding. But I had to go and make a joke. It brought forth a look like I’d just told him that I microwave bunnies for fun. I had to say I was kidding three times before he’d cracked a smile (a handsome one at that). But without a doubt, my joke probably sliced the moment in two and fed it to the dogs.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

My diet was shot to h*ll this last week since I went out and ate with my knitting pals and then went to a carnival on Saturday with Kid where the food selection is geared towards fattening up America. Mmmmm… pizza, baked goods, candy, pop… Anyways, time to take Kid to the doctor.

Until next time…

No comments: