Friday, April 18, 2008

Blogs, Quakes, and Mating Habits

I have often wondered how people write a day to day blog. What if there is nothing interesting to say? What if life is boring? I actually scanned a couple of blogs to get some idea of how it’s done, and I’ll be lucky not to bore someone to death also. Oops, was the mean? Not a good first impression, right? Oh well, if you already know me, you must like me, and if you don't, you'll learn. So, in case you’re wondering what you’ve missed during the first 30 years of my life (hence the blog title), let me assure you that some of it was great, and the rest was pure hell. :-)

So, we had an earthquake this morning at 4:37am. And for some reason, no one sees what a big deal that is for us Midwesterners. We’re more about tornados here in IL, so I was confident in the knowledge that I’d have to go to California for a quake. Guess not. And I must say, I’ve been labeled a drama queen twice in the past 2 hours. Is it wrong that I am disappointed at having missed it?? Ok, ‘disappointed’ is a mild adjective, I had a freakin’ fit and felt the need to kick something when I realized that everyone but me had woken up. Apparently, my family feels it was best that I was not woken up, because I would have “screamed, cried, and smothered my kid.” I would NOT!

Anyways, moving on from natural disasters. A little about myself…. I obviously have a kid, who will be referred to as ‘Kid’ from here on out. I am divorced, and living with my wonderful family of ‘Brother’ and ‘Mother’. I like to hike, jump from moving trains, buses, planes, and once a year I observe the mating habits of some of the most dangerous crocs in the world. Don’t believe me? Good, because you should know right away, hiking is a lose-lose situation with me, because bugs make me ‘scream, cry,’ and spring for the nearest human being, which was no joke back when I was nearly 200 lbs. I don’t jump from anywhere (except for the one disastrous jump from the moving Mumbai Central Line train), and I wouldn’t go near a croc even to feed it my worst enemy (and as for the mating habits… ew). I am an avid knitter, and I teach it for fun. I love reading, and I wish I could cite a classical title, but the truth is, I love reading suspense and horror. My latest obsession is Stephenie Meyer’s ‘Twilight Series’. Oh, and in case you haven’t figured it out yet, I also like talking people into near deafness. That’s how I get Kid to sleep every night, and the reason why Mother looks frightened when I say ‘can we talk?’, and why Brother had to get counseling 4 years ago… Haha... I think Homeland Security could use my mouth as a weapon…. Totally kidding… maybe…

Ok, enough for now. More next time...

3 comments:

Lys said...

Ohhh - I am so looking forward to reading this blog!! Do you mind if I link to you from my blog??

Anonymous said...

Haha! I like it, I like it! This is fun and easy to read, and I especially like your family terms: "Kid, Brother, Mother."

Anonymous said...

hi my dear. I just read your email; it's been crazy. I also missed the quake and was equally annoyed. slept right through it! keep on blogging and send updates and reminders!